Do you think the vehicles at your dealership are safe? Think again. Motor vehicle theft rates have soared recently, causing many dealerships to question their security systems and invest in high-quality car dealer GPS tracking devices.
In this article, we’ll explore the surge in auto thefts and look at car dealership theft statistics. We will also discuss what you can do to prevent these costly crimes.
Car Dealership Thefts in the U.S.
Cars are an integral part of everyday life in the United States, helping us get to work, go grocery shopping, pick up the kids from school, etc. As an auto dealer, the cars on your lot are also your livelihood. It’s critical to realize you are not immune to theft and that finding ways to protect the vehicles on your property is in your best interest.
How Many Motor Vehicles Get Stolen Every Year?
According to FBI crime data, over 12,000 auto theft cases occurred on dealership properties in 2021. That number has likely only increased as total car thefts in the U.S. continue to rise. What these car dealership theft statistics don’t tell you is how much these crimes cost the victims. Stolen vehicles can cost you thousands in recovery, repairs, and lost inventory.
What Are Some Examples of Car Thefts?
When it comes to motor vehicle thefts, criminals have grown more sophisticated and brazen. It seems like dealerships throughout the country face stolen inventory daily. Here are a few examples of recent car dealership thefts:
- Six high-performance vehicles stolen from a Kentucky dealership
- Auto theft costs a North Carolina dealership over $600,000
- Thieves steal 26 luxury vehicles from a New York dealership
How Can You Prevent Robberies at Your Dealership?
It’s scary to learn how many vehicles get stolen from auto dealerships annually. However, car theft is preventable. You can take several practical steps to protect your vehicles and lower car dealership theft statistics, including:
- Registering your cars: Vehicle registration isn’t just mandatory — it’s an indispensable security measure. Registering a car with the DMV will help law enforcement locate and recover it faster if stolen. Authorities can use the unique vehicle identification number (VIN) to track down the vehicle and return it to your dealership.
- Keep the doors locked: Dealerships can be busy places, with countless customers visiting throughout the week. As you show off your inventory and provide test drives, you must remember to lock the doors afterward. It’s a simple thing, but it can go a long way to deter thieves.
- Ensure your lot has proper lighting: Are you concerned about auto theft at your dealership? Consider upgrading your outdoor lighting. A well-lit parking lot can dissuade potential crime and enhance your surveillance videos.
- Hang on to your keys: Never leave the keys to your vehicles lying around or in an unsecured location. You should only retrieve them before showing a customer and return them as soon as you’re done.
- Invest in GPS tracking: GPS tracking technology allows you to stay on top of your inventory at all times. You can know exactly where your vehicles are and receive notifications if one leaves the geographical boundary. In case of theft, you’ll be able to locate the stolen vehicle instantly.
Protect Your Vehicles With SafePoint GPS
Break-ins and robberies are major concerns for many car dealerships across the country. A stolen vehicle means more than financial loss — it could damage your reputation as a dealer and lead to increasingly less business. Don’t wait to protect the cars on your lot. Get GPS technology from SafePoint GPS.
SafePoint GPS offers cutting-edge GPS tracking technology to prevent auto thefts and boost your business. With our industry-leading services, you can keep tabs on all your inventory and not contribute to inflated car dealership theft statistics. We connect your vehicles so that you can focus on connecting with customers.Do you want to protect the cars at your dealership? Call SafePoint GPS at (833) 723-3764 to get started today!